Scott Pilgrim vs. the Reviewers




I was excited to see Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, primarily as a chance to see Toronto again, and also so I could annoy the people I was with with endless "I've been there" comments. I did this, and it was fun.

Unfortunately, the film itself less than impressed.

It is easy to divide the film into two sections, the first is classic Michael Cera territory, lo-fi filming, witty dialogue, indie soundtrack, tick, tick, tick. However once the film really starts to find its feet an increased amount of CGI is used throughout the fight scenes, in order to maintain the comic-book theme of the film. Often this leads to a visually cluttered cinema screen, and so much action occurring it is difficult to understand what is going on.

At times it feels as if director Edgar Wright (someone whose previous work in Spaced, Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead I am a massive fan of) actually set out to produce a film that was more about form than function. At times Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is both visually stunning, funny and well acted, and yet the majority of the time leaves very little space to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment